Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Crosstraining

Cross training is a good thing.

That's why multi-sports are great, because it forces you to cross train if it's not a natural thing for you.

So yesterday my temperature on my car read 97 when I went to the park to ride at 5pm. Actually, it didn't really feel that bad. It was only bad when I was riding up the hills, but really it was fine. There's no way I can run in that heat, but I can bike or swim in it, so I never have an excuse for not working out.

Excuses : Cross training Solution

Hip hurts : Swim
Storming out side : Swim
Don't want to get wet : Run or Bike
Don't have a lot of time : Short Run
Hot out : Bike or Swim
Cold out : Anything Inside
Bored : Get over it! ;)

I'm sure there are many other excuses, these are just a few.

You should take time off for rest for sure. But if you're planning to work out a particular day and don't feel like anything and you can't make the workout up later in the week, my general rule is to at least start something and go for at least 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, if you're just not feeling it, then go ahead and quit, but 99% of the time, once you're into it, you'll finish your workout.

2 comments:

Fat 2 Fit said...

Good thinking! You know too cold ouside really isn't an excuse to not bike for me. I go as long as it isn't wet/icy outside or isn't storming. You'd be surprised how much you heat up on the bike. I have to admit I go slower when it is cold because I don't want an 18 mph breeze on my face :) But other than that.. I just layer up and take off the layers as I go. You'd be amazed how hot you get even when it is cold outside when you are on a bike!
(then again, perhaps it is just insanity!) LOL

Flabulous Mom said...

Great for you having some kind of structure to your workouts. The 15 minutes rule is a great one and I may have to try that myself. Thanks for the inspiration!