Monday, July 2, 2007

Feeling Better

Well most of you know that over the last 6-9 months I've been struggling with my hip. I have tendinitis in it and it's causing pain in my hip, and also back in my lower back/butt area. Of course it started right before I started training for a triathlon! Running hurts it the most, and I get really stiff and it was keeping me up at night.

Anyway, in January I talked to my doctor about it (at my annual physical) and we did a series of things:

1. first we rested it for 2 weeks, I took a 3 day course of steroids and it felt great until I started running again.
2. next we did physical therapy for a month. That helped a little, especially with my sleeping, but it still was a problem.
3. I went to see an orthopedic doctor, and he basically told me there was nothing I could do. (i.e. a big waste of time and money)

I called my doctor back after #3 and she was very disappointed in the orthopedic doctor, and she thought of one more thing for me to do.

There is a DO in my office that deals with sports injuries and pain management. He does a treatment called "Prollo Therapy" where they inject an irritant into your problem area, and it causes your body to make that area heal faster than normal. Of course it is not covered by insurance, but it wasn't outrageously priced, so I wanted to consider it.

When I saw him, he decided to adjust me first (because insurance would pay for it and apparently I was out of alignment). I had never been adjusted before. I don't love it, but ever since he adjusted me (I think I've had 3 now) my hip has been better.

He also suggested this massage technique called "Cranial-Sacral Therapy" that is a light-touch massage technique where they manipulate your spinal fluid flow between your head and your tailbone. It felt like she wasn't doing anything, and I slept during most of it. When I walked out of there I felt like I took a $70 nap, but ever since that treatment, I have been feeling even better. So far I haven't gotten the prollo therapy, but I don't feel like I have needed it.

It's still stiff from time to time, but in general, it is feeling better. I really hope I'm on the mend, but at least I'm learning how to manage it anyway.

2 comments:

Fat 2 Fit said...

I work with an OT that does the head-butt therapy... You feel like it works? That is awesome! Some clients really seem to swear by it! Glad that you are starting to feel better! :)

Flabulous Mom said...

With pain like what you hinted at it's amazing that you even want to do a triathlon. I'm glad to hear you are feeling better and hope you are on the mend. Good luck with that!