Sunday, June 1, 2008

2008 Tri Season begins

So today marked my 4th time I've completed a sprint triathlon, but the first time I have done the same one year over year, so I have a comparison now of my improving over last year.

My over all time I improved by almost 12 minutes over last year which I was pretty happy with. I was HOPING to get to the 1:20 mark, but I was a little over the mark at 1:23.

Where I was the happiest was in the run (5k) I improved a whopping 6 minutes over last year. I averaged a 10 1/2 minute mile, but after swimming and biking, I'm ok with that pace! Where I continue to struggle is in the swim. I was only 45 seconds faster than last year. I didn't do freestyle the whole way (Which I didn't have the stamina for last year, but did this year), a lot due to the fact that the coldness of the water just took my breath away and also there were 200 more people in the race than last year, and well for a small lake, that's a lot of bodies. My bike was about 5 minutes faster than last year. I averaged 18.1 for 10 miles. I'm MOSTLY happy with that, but I was hoping I was a little faster there.

Overall a great day!

A couple notes on the day:
1. Patty beat me by 45 seconds!!
2. Mindy finished her first ever triathlon! Congrats to her! I'm very proud of her.
3. Tim finished his first triathlon! I am also very proud of him. He *HATES* the run, it really hurts his body, and he struggled with it today for sure and had to walk much of the run.
4. I beat Tim (but don't tell him I told you). ;)
5. Next sprint tri is scheduled for July 20th
6. However, I am participating in a 3 person relay of an olympic size tri on June 22nd. I am the biker chick (25 miles) , Patty is the swimmer chick (1 mile), Jo is the runner chick (10k). Tres Chicas!

Thanks to my AWESOME nephew Matt who came to cheer us on and take these awesome photos!

2 comments:

Fat 2 Fit said...

You did great! (and so did Tim).
Thank you for your support! I look forward to more tris, just not this year. ;)

Flabulous Mom said...

You did great! Wow, 6 minutes of the run? That's awesome! Plus you imporve and the bike and swim. You have a lot to be proud of. way to go!!