Saturday, June 7, 2008

Humidity + Jeanne = Bad Day???

Maybe/Maybe not. You decide.

Today I ran in a 5k race in Brighton to get that official time that's been eluding me the last few weeks. Outside of Triathlons, my fastest 5k race was last October and it was 33:09.

Today, the race started at 8:30am. It was only 72 out, but my GOD it was about 100% humidity or at least it felt like it. I felt great going into the race, but after mile 2, I had to walk a little, because the humidity was sucking the life out of me.

When I finished the race, it took me about 10-15 minutes to recover, which is very unusual for me because I usually recover very fast after working out. But the humidity really zapped me. I felt worse after this race then I did after last week's triathlon!!!

The other thing about this race was it wasn't chipped timed, so there is always margin of error on these. I'd say at least 20 seconds off. (Because I start at the back, and everyone "starts at the same time" but I didn't really cross the start line for about 10-15 seconds, plus they are doing everything manually on the way in, so there is always room for error)

I did like the race though. It was on the cheaper side, as far as registering at the last minute for races go, and you got a cool Tshirt AND a pancake breakfast afterwards. It was all good.

Am I making you wait long enough for the results??

Despite the humidity and me having to walk probably 1/3 - 1/2 of a mile in that last mile, I still had a PR: 31:16. Had I not walked, I would have been under 30 I'm sure of it. That's a 10:04 pace. I know that I was wishing for at least a 9:59 pace, but I think I can live with this.

So though I wasn't too happy I had to walk, I was pretty darn happy with the result, and know that I'll be under that in the next race.

yay me!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Any PR race can certainly be called a success! That's particularly the case with shorter races.